Internal Fire- Museum of Power: The Radio Collection
Home Radio Collection Restorations Our Antennas Manuals Forum Museum Information
The Museum houses an extensive collection of valves dating from before the First World War to the present day. A large proportion
of the valves are from the John Lawrence collection.
Pre WW1 to 1920
1920s + Cathode ray tubes
World War 2
Transmitting Valves
Detail of a strapped cavity Magnetron from the WWII
display. The circle of resonant cavities can be clearly
seen as can the wire “strapping” the cavities.
Earlier unstrapped magnetrons tended to be unstable-
they would go off frequency. Strapping cured this
Credit for the successful development of the Magnetron
goes to Randall and Boot of Birmingham University.
Without the vital equipment, the outcome of the Second
World War could have been very different.